Many things cause toe pain, including traumatic injuries, infections, or other abnormalities. Living with toe pain can be tough because it can inhibit you from doing daily activities such as walking or standing. Luckily, there are tons of toe pain treatment options you can do at home to get you up and moving again.
Heavenly Foot Care is a mobile podiatry service that specialises in toe pain treatment. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
What Are The Leading Causes Of Toe Pain?
The leading two causes of toe pain are toe deformities or problems with the toenail. Conditions like bunions can be painful and cause severe discomfort around the toe. Ingrown toenails are also a likely suspect.
Here are some of the leading causes of toe pain:
- Traumatic injuries (sprains, fractures, etc.)
- Ingrown Toenails
Mild toe pain will likely go away on its own, but more severe cases may require professional help. To better understand what’s causing pain in your toe(s), schedule a visit to your doctor to diagnose the issue accurately.
Toe Pain Treatments You Can Do At Home
Treating mild toe pain at home is surprisingly simple. Here are some toenail treatment options you can do at home:
- Ice – A little bit of frozen water can go a long way when treating toe pain. If you’ve sprained your toe, make sure to ice it a few times per day to reduce inflammation.
- Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medications – Taking OTC medication can help with toe pain relief. Some common drugs are Tylenol, Advil, and Motrin.
- Resting – Resting is an often-overlooked treatment for all injuries. When we are hurt, our bodies need the energy to heal. Resting allows your body to take a break and focus on recovery.
When Should You See A Doctor?
If your pain is unbearable, you should contact your doctor right away. Only they can diagnose and recommend the right treatment for your chronic toe pain. Here are some indicators of when it’s time for you to see a doctor:
- The pain or swelling in the toe is so unbearable you cannot walk or stand.
- Severe bleeding
- A cut or wound around the toe that hasn’t healed in 2-3 days
- Signs of infection around your toe
- Traumatic injuries such as a sprain or fracture
All of the above are considered to be emergencies and should be treated immediately. If you have diabetes, you should act on any toe injury as soon as possible.
What Can A Doctor Do?
As mentioned above, chronic toe pain usually requires help from your doctor. When treatments at home don’t resolve the issue, a doctor may suggest one of the following:
- Toe surgery – Surgical procedures aren’t standard for toe pain, but your doctor may recommend surgery if your condition is critical.
- Steroid injection – Not to be confused with anabolic steroids, medical steroid injections are used to reduce pain and inflammation around the joints and encourage damaged tissue to heal.
- Medication – If OTC medications aren’t powerful enough to treat your toe pain, your doctor may recommend certain medications to alleviate symptoms. This is especially common for patients with gout and arthritis.
A Podiatrist Can Also Help
Are your toes bothering you? Heavenly Foot Care can help! We are a mobile podiatry service that can treat your feet right in the comfort of your own home. When it comes to toe pain treatment, we are experts, so you rest assured we will have you back on your feet in no time.
Call us today at (905) 931-9945 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.